Beulah, established 1878
Beulah, our heritage listed home, was built c. 1878 by Thomas Tucker, one of Scottsdale's early pioneers. Thomas Tucker was born in Sheerness, England in 1831. He migrated to Australia in 1848 where he first settled in Longford and worked for his uncle, Mr. M. Jacobs. He was attracted by the Victorian gold fields for a short while but returned to Longford where he married Jane Heazlewood in 1854. In 1859 the Tuckers moved to Scotts New country (Scottsdale) where they took up land. They raised 9 children.
Thomas Tucker became the local storekeeper and postmaster. He also ran a flour mill. Thomas was known to have built a complete pipe organ crafting each part by hand; illustrating his practical, multi-skilled nature.
Thomas Tucker was a hard working, service minded, founding father of Scottsdale. He was a member of the road trust, which he chaired for many years. He was a devout Methodist. Known as a public spirited resident of Scottsdale he donated the land next door to Beulah to the local council where the Mechanics Institute was built in 1881.
Over the years, as well as being a home, Beulah has been used as lawyers-chambers, an antique shop, a museum and more recently a bed and breakfast. We love our home and trust you will also enjoy the ambience of this lovely old house.
Jan, Holger, Thomas and Kristoffer